The Eagle Hotel was the first hotel in Niagara Falls, owned by Parkhurst Whitney. In 1853, B.F. Childs added on to this building to create the world renowned International Hotel, equal in size and stature to the Cataract House. Like the Cataract, this hotel employed many black waiters. Eagle/International Hotel staff (including Daniel R. Cosby, headwaiter from 1853 into the 1870s) were involved in rescue attempts, including a failed rescue of a young woman staying at the hotel in 1847.
Click Here to read more (PDF – 1MB)